From 1934 to about 1986, a row of shops stood adjacent to the west side of Seddon Railway Station. Upon leaving the station on the city-bound side, a traveller in 1954 entered the head of a small cul-de-sac roadway. On the left side stood a strip of six shops on what is now a small park. Its wide awning lent a village feel to the court, and ensconsed the visitor against a neighbourhood with rough elements. An asphalt path ran parallel to the platform and bordered the wall and yard of Don Riley’s barber’s shop at number 29.
What 3 Words geolocation: expect.soda.works
As the closest shop to the station on a triangular parcel of land, the barber’s shop was tiny and comprised a single barber’s chair, a parlour little bigger than a cubicle and a small yard. The tobacco Riley sold as a sideline attracted thieves, who would many times force the rear door, or in one case, breach the wall into the parlour behind the shop. The ‘parlour’ contained a single bed with a wooden bedhead, army-style blankets, shelves and little else … (to be continued)